June 9, 2011

Phalaenopsis Be Tris 'Zuma Nova'

This is really a switch from my previous posts.  This is not a miniature, is not cool-growing, is not grown in my orchidarium, but I thought I'd post it anyway.  It is one of only a couple Phalaenopsis plants I still have, including a couple of species, and is grown on a bathroom windowsill with a southern exposure and good strong but diffused light through the privacy glass.




It is blooming here for the first time and looks like it will have quite a few small but attractive flowers.  I haven't made up my mind yet whether I'll keep it or trade it, but will probably enjoy the flowers for a while first.  The flowers are only 4 cm by 5 cm but the plant is a typical Phalaenopsis and though probably not full grown is about 35-40 cm across.

The plant is a cross of Phalaenopsis Be Glad and Phalaenopsis equestris, and this particular clone has an award from the American Orchid Society, a Highly Commended Certificate (HCC/AOS).  The cross was made by Krull-Smith in 1989, so it is quite old, but has quite a few awards, this one given in 2001.  As far as I can tell the flowers are not fragrant.


No comments:

Post a Comment