February 16, 2013

Dendrobium masarangense var. masarangense

Dendrobium masarangense has several varieties, but the difference between them is insignificant for the most part.  From what I can tell this variety or subspecies, ssp. masarangense,  is marked especially by its whitish flowers.  It is one of tiniest of the Oxyglossum Dendrobiums.  My plant is 6 cm tall and the flowers 2 cm from the tip to the end of the spur and 1 cm in spread, but it can be even smaller.  It certainly puts on a show when it blooms in the winter.  My plant, not yet all that large has around 40 flowers and buds.  It is quite widespread through Salawesi, New Guinea, New Britain, Bougainville, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji.  It is found both at high and low altitudes and should show some temperature tolerance for that reason, though I grow my plant intermediate to cool.







No comments:

Post a Comment